Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Forbidden by Syrie James & Ryan M. James






Grade: 3 Butterflies
Name: Forbidden ( The Forbidden series #1)
Series: The Forbidden series
Author: Syrie James & Ryan M. James
Released: January 24 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Page Amount: 412

                            Goodreads summary

 She should not exist.

He should not love her.

Claire Brennan has been attending Emerson Academy for two years now (the longest she and her mom have remained anywhere) and she's desperate to stay put for the rest of high school. So there's no way she's going to tell her mom about the psychic visions she's been having or the creepy warnings that she's in danger.
 Alec MacKenzie is fed up with his duties to watch and, when necessary, eliminate the descendants of his angelic forefathers. He chose Emerson as the ideal hiding place where he could be normal for once. He hadn't factored Claire into his plans. . . .
Their love is forbidden, going against everything Alec has been taught to believe. But when the reason behind Claire's unusual powers is revealed and the threat to her life becomes clear, how far will Alec go to protect her?


                                    My Thoughts

I went into this book with high expectations, because I read so many raving reviews on this book. I don't like doing that because the book goes into two categories.
1.      The book is below my expectations and/or it was total disappointment.
2.      The book ( and this is rare ) meets my expectations and\or it is better than my expectations.
And I am sad to this book went into the first category. This is why...

Story,
This story intrigued me when I first read the summary. I love angel books, but to have a good angel book you need it to have some originality in it. This story did have originality, but at the same time it did.......not. It's not as original as some of the other angel books I have read (like Courtney Allison Moulton Angelfire series.), but it has enough so it’s not like all the other angel books. The story is told in the POV of both Claire and Alec. This book was kind of predictable. What that guy did at the end of the book was not really a shocker to me. I knew that would happen, about 40 pages before it did happen. However, the rest of the twists were a complete shock to me, but other than that, it was a very enjoyable story.

Characters,
The characters were decent but distant. I could not connect with any of them most of the time. I also could not connect with the relationship between Claire and Alec. It was so unrealistic. They knew each other for about two weeks and were madly in love with each other. That does not happen.
Spoiler alert. And when Alec left her and she was supposed to be devested, it didn't feel like she was. You’re supposed to love the guy and four days after he leaves you, your almost okay again?
Spoiler Alert over. The whole relationship was not realistic. Another example is when that guy betrays the other guy (I know it is really vague, but I am trying to keep the spoiler alerts to a minimum.) I did not feel the betrayal, he just did it. The characters weren't unlikable or anything, you just couldn't connect with them. Anyway, there was a decent amount of character development in this book.


Writing,
The writing was okay. Nothing really special I am sad to say, but nothing really awful. I never got confused when they were explaining everything. This is really nice when you read angel books because you don’t have to stop reading to Google anything. However, I did not like the way they wrote the characters. As I said before, the characters were really distant. I think if they wrote the characters a little different the book would have been really good.



Ending,
The ending was a little of a dissapointment. I kept thinking that the ending would be this huge fight scene. Even though there was a fight scene, it was not as big as I thought it would be. Also I like books that end with a bang, but this one really didn't. However, it was still a good ending to a book.

                                    

 

Overall:
Even though I ranted a lot in this review, it was a pretty good book, with a good story, alright characters, average writing, and a decent ending. I would recommend this book if you are bored and in need of a book.


                               ****************************************

This book got...
 
 
3 butterflies.
Basic, nothing special.
 





 

I hope you liked my review,
 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment