Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review: Balthazar by Claudia Gray






Name: Balthazar ( Evernight series #5)
Author: Claudia Gray
Released: March 6th 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Amount: 374 pages

WARNING: THERE MIGHT BE SOME SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE EVERNIGHT SERIES.

Goodreads summary


Haunted by memories from his first days as a vampire, Balthazar has spent hundreds of years alone—without allies, without love. When he emerges from his isolation to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, Balthazar has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Having learned of Skye’s powers and the remarkable effect her blood has on vampires, he plans to use her for his own evil purposes. As they stand together to fight the evil vampire, Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by Skye...just as Redgrave realizes that he can destroy Balthazar once and for all by taking her for his own.

In a story filled with forbidden love and dark suspense, one of the most beloved characters in Claudia Gray’s New York Times bestselling Evernight series will captivate readers with his battle to overcome his past and follow his heart.




                                       **************************


   What really interested me about this book was the prospect of learning more about Blathazar's past. However, I was very hesitant to read this book because I was afraid that his past would not be a big part of this book. So, I was really happy when I was reading this to learn that Balthazar's past was a big thing in this book

  This book was told by altering POV (point of view) between Balthazar and Skye. I think it brings more to the story when authors write their books like that. However, it is really easy for an author mess that up and I am sorry to say I think Ms. Gray did that in this book. What I mean by that is it got confusing sometimes with the altering POV. Sometimes it took me a few pages in the chapter before I figured out who's "voice" I was reading. This really annoyed me and I think it took away part of the reading experience for me.

   Other than that, Ms. Gray's writing was fantastic. I love her writing style; to me it is wonderful and unique and I just love it. It draws you in from the first page and doesn't let you go until the very last page.

   This was also a very fast paced book. There was not a moment in this book that I was bored. However, I thought the plot was a little flat. What I mean by that is I would have enjoyed more twists and turns in this book. There were some twists, just not that many. I am not saying that the book was predictable; it wasn't. I am saying there was not many big twists in this book that left you gasping and refusing to believe what you just read.

   However, one thing that I was really disappointed in, was the ending. Through out the whole story it felt like it was setting up a huge, awesome fight. Finally, when the characters where face to face with the bad guys,  I was chanting "Fight! Fight!" in my head, and then That happened. I was in shock on how fast it happened and a few pages after it happened, I was expecting  a twist in the plot, because that could not be the big fight scene I was expecting. So, I was really disappointed in the ending.

   All the characters in this book where really very enjoyable and very realistic to me. Skye was one of the best character in this book. I loved how no matter how scared she was, she always tried to stay strong. I love it when characters are like that. My favorite character in this book was Balthazar. He was just awesome in this book. I loved how he decided to help Skye out of loyalty to to Lucas. That seemed to sweet to me. One thing that I think made me like Balthazar better was how there were flash backs to his past in this book. That really made Balthozar's character more deep, to me.

  Another thing I loved was the relationship between Skye and Balthazar. Their relationship felt so realistic and I love books like that. Their relationship wasn't insto-love; you actually got to read them fall in love. I think when an author writes the relationship like that, it makes you like it more.



So, all in all this book got....                  

4 Butterflies
Beloved, I really liked this book.

Recommend to people who like: The Evernight series, Vampires, and fiction.













That is me review for today, I hope you liked it.
Come back tommorow for a Can't Wait Wednesday.
Happy reading.





















No comments:

Post a Comment