Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Tragic by J. A. Huss

Grade: 4.5 Butterflies
Name: Tragic (Rook & Ronin #1)
Author: J.A. Huss
Source: Review copy from the author.

Goodreads Summery

Rook Walsh is TRAGIC

Because life so far – just sucks. Some girls get parents. Rook got the foster care system. Some girls get Prince Charming. Rook got an abusive frog. Some girls get lucky…

Rook got a second chance.

And she took it. Because when fate throws you a bone – you grab it with both hands and run.

Antoine Chaput knows the minute he spies Rook in his photography studio that she’s got The Look. The dark and desperate look he must have to land the exclusive TRAGIC media contract.

Rook is paired up with top model, Ronin, and he’s everything her abusive ex-boyfriend wasn’t. Patient, gentle, happy, attentive, and sexy! He knows exactly what to do to make Rook blush for Antoine’s camera. 

Rook’s luck changes in an instant and suddenly she’s the darling of the modeling world. It’s a dream job to go with a dream guy and all she has to do is look pretty and follow directions. But there’s always a price to pay – and Rook is about to get the bill.



I got this as an ARC for the book tour (thank you J.A.Huss!!!) and I was so excited to read it!! And it delivered everything with a bag of chips. I loved this story so much. I felt like it was light and fun, but still wasn't just fluff. It had the serious side to it that balanced the book out. I just loved this book.

This book is New Adult so there is some adult content in here. And that is the first thing I want to talk about, I felt like all of Rook's and Ronin's interactions in the camera shots where a little to graphic. They weren't super graphic, but I felt like they should have been tuned down just a little. They didn't take away from the story or anything, but in my opinion I would have liked them to be just a little tuned down.

Back to the good stuff. I loved this plot. I felt like it was real, it felt so realistic, it felt like it was a story being told, not being imagined but told. If that makes any sense to you, but it just felt real. The only problem, a very small problem, was it took me a while to adjust to the setting due to how I knew nothing of the modal life. So, I had to adjust to it and that took away from the reading experience a little. If I re-read it I would be fine, because now I know about the setting. It was just when I was reading it I didn't know anything about the modal life.

I loved these characters. I felt like they where real. They felt like actual people in a part of their lives. Rook was my favorite, she could be rash sometimes, but she was just so strong and great. I have no other words. I would want to be Rook, minus her past, I'll skip that. She was so great. Even though all of the characters where well written I was in disbelief on how Ronin, his sister, and Antoine where okay with letting the girls do that and make money on it. I wanted to go into the story and ask them why? Don't you feel bad? What the heck.

However, the one character I felt could have been more defined was Ronin, even though he had chapters in his POV (I forgot to mention this book is duel POV between Rook and Ronin) I felt like I still didn't really know him.

My favorite part in here was the love story between Rook and Ronin. However, in the first half of the book I was thinking that it was so insta-love and I couldn't connect with their relationship, then I remembered that this isn't a stand-alone, its a series (I fangirled a little when I remembered that). I went from thinking it was insta-love and not connecting, to loving how realistic it was, because they didn't real fall in love. They where just falling in love in this book. I love books that have a realistic love story in it.

Overall, this is a great, realistic story that I loved. Even though there where some small problems with it, I still fell in love with the writing, the plot, the characters. It was great. I would recommend it to everybody. People just put this on your summer reading list, its great!

This book got...


4.5 Butterflies
Beautiful, this is a great book. 

Recommended if you like: Contemporaries, New Adult, and Wait For Your by Jennifer L. Armentrout.


That's my review, pick this book up, it's great!
Happy reading.











No comments:

Post a Comment