Favorite Quotes

'Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods...... But even the great can tremble with fear. Even the great can Fall.

Mary E. Pearson, Kiss of Deception

Monday, July 28, 2014

Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Grade: 5 Butterflies
Series: Just One Day #1
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Speak
Pages: Paperback, 400 pages


Allyson Healey's life is exactly like her suitcase—packed, planned, ordered. Then on the last day of her three-week post-graduation European tour, she meets Willem. A free-spirited, roving actor, Willem is everything she’s not, and when he invites her to abandon her plans and come to Paris with him, Allyson says yes. This uncharacteristic decision leads to a day of risk and romance, liberation and intimacy: 24 hours that will transform Allyson’s life.

A book about love, heartbreak, travel, identity, and the “accidents” of fate,Just One Day shows us how sometimes in order to get found, you first have to get lost. . . and how often the people we are seeking are much closer than we know.


Whenever I read contemporary it is always a hit or miss for me. The genre itself doesn't often appeal to me, it's just not what I like to read, so a contemporary book has to be amazing, outstanding, with a side of brilliant for me to love it. I went into this one, because of all the hype, thinking I was at least going to enjoy it. I had no idea that I would fall head over heels for this book! This book is one of my all time favorite contemporaries! I loved this book so much, it had the whole package. It has a romance that I can get behind of, writing that is just outstanding, characters and character development that was amazing, and a story line that had me hooked from line one! I am writing this a month after reading it because it left me speechless, I literally couldn't put my love for this book into words until now.

I think what really made this book for me was how it wasn't just a love story between two strangers, it was so much more then that. This book was very much focused on Allyson's personal growth as a person. She just grew so much in this book and it was written so well that I loved it!! I don't often like reading coming-of-age stories but I was so invested in this one!

I also liked how even though it was focused on Allyson's character development it didn't ignore the love story. They were basically one in the same. Allyson's love for Willem and the day they had together gave her the strength and  perspective to grow. Before she met Willem she was to afraid to really change, but knowing him made her realize it's okay to change. This aspect of the story was just so enjoyable to read and it made me love the book even more! Also, the title of the book kind of fooled me, because this book takes place in a year time span, not just one day. But thinking it over more the title refers to the day that changed her life (dramatic I know, but if you read it you understand).

If you couldn't tell by now, I loved all of the characters in this book! They were all so great and outstandingly written. This women has a gift with writing characters and character development. None of the characters felt unrealistic or plastic, none of the character development felt forced, and Allyson was so easy to relate to.

I loved this book!!  I don't think I had any problems with it because it was pure genius! If you haven't read this one already do so now, because it has everything a reader could want, even one that doesn't like contemporary. It has fantastically written characters that are so easy to relate to, Themes that were beautifully executed, and a story line that will hook you from page one. Looking over at this review I don't think I conveyed my love for it well, but just know that this is a statistic book that I am in love with. I. loved. this. book!!

This book got....

 5 Butterflies
Blew me away, one of the best books ever!

Read this one now!!!
Happy reading (this book)







No comments:

Post a Comment